Wednesday, February 13, 2013

It is Just Coffee...

Hey friends,

So being a single girl, I am somewhat attempting to rectify that status. Meaning I am going out and meeting new people. One of my typical meet up spots is a coffee shop. There are a few reasons for this:

  1. Coffee shops are usually occupied by at least one other person. I am never alone with someone I am just getting to know. As a single woman, I try to stay as safe as possible. You never know whose out there.  
  2. I can get there a few minutes early to relax and calm myself so I don't act like an idiot.
  3. We can buy our own coffee. So it is less of a date and more of two people just relaxing and getting to know each other. 

Just to be safe I always tell someone (usually my sister) that I am getting coffee with a guy and all the details like where, when, etcetera. Unfortunately, my sister wasn't around yesterday. I was forced to tell my mother of my plans to meet a guy for coffee.

(My mom and me on vacation last year.)

Don't get me wrong, I love my mother to death. She is a fantastic woman who is always helping anyone and everyone. However, just like everyone she has her little quirks. One of them being she blows things way out of portion. Since she knew I was going on a "coffee date," my mom grilled me for information about it when I got home. She didn't make any ridiculous comments, so I thought I made through safely. 

My mother being who she is cannot just take things with a grain of salt. Today while shopping with my sister and me, mom brought up my date. She was telling my sister about it as if I was going to marry the guy and give her nine little grandchildren she'd have to convert to Pittsburgh fans. The whole time I am saying "It was JUST coffee." 

I'm not sure when coffee became equivalent to getting engaged...or maybe that was how it was done back in the 1970's. I should ask my dad if that's how he got my mom. 

#SingleGirlProblem Number 3: Convincing my mother that sometimes coffee is just coffee.

Cheers, 
Tabitha

No comments: